What to look for in the best compression socks for running?
- graduated compression that gently compresses the calf veins. The pressure is greatest at the foot and reduces as the stocking goes up the calf, thus pushing the venous blood back to the heart.
- comfort. You don’t want to feel like they are Constricting your circulation.
- a stocking that doesn’t roll down.
- a stocking that isn’t too hot. One of my personal pet hates is having hot feet!
- hosiery that is well designed and well made.
- machine washable and quick dry running socks.
N.B People with peripheral artery disease shouldn’t wear compression stockings unless they have been cleared to do so by a doctor. The aim of compression hosiery is to gently compress the veins but if the arterial circulation to your feet is impaired, they may impair the arterial flow further.
All the products below have a 4-5 star rating on Amazon.
- Physix Gear Sport Compression Socks for Men & Women
- Wanderlust Air running Compression Socks: Premium Stockings For Men & Women
- Blitzu Compression Socks, Men and Women Performance Stockings
- MoJo Recovery & Performance Sports Compression Socks – White Medium – Unisex
- Vitalsox Italy -Patented Graduated Compression VT1211 Running, Training, Race, and Recovery Socks with Odor Resistant Silver DryStat
- Copper Compression Knee High Recovery Support Socks
- Truform Women’s 15-20 mmHg Sheer Open Toe, Knee High Compression Stockings
1. Physix Gear Sport Compression Socks for Men & Women
These popular stockings come in 2 sizes for both men and women and are black with blue and pink ankle and toe highlights respectively. They are designed not to slip down and and made from a nylon blend that wicks moisture away. They have a graduated pressure of 20-300 mmHg.
2. Wanderlust Air running Compression Socks: Premium Stockings For Men & Women
I prefer natural fibers so I like that these are 80% cotton. They have a longer band at the top of the calf so as to not cause constriction and the toe area is seamless for more comfort also. They have a graduated pressure of approx. 20 mmHg from ankle to under the knee. They come in two sizes based on shoe size, and there are also instructions on how to measure your calves to help get the right one for you. They are black with grey on the underside of the foot with a blue stripe.
3. Blitzu Compression Socks, Men and Women Performance Stockings
These running socks get great reviews and, as well as being good for running, they are also designed for sport. They and come in four colours (black, purple, pink and white) which is a bonus too. They have a graduated pressure of 20-25mmHg.
4. MoJo Recovery & Performance Sports Compression Socks – White Medium – Unisex
These socks come in 5 sizes based on shoe size. They come in white and gray and are made of latex-free nylon and spandex. These hose have graduated 20-30 mmHg pressure. They have a slightly thicker and softer feel than Mojo’s Elite (normal) range but provide the same amount of compression.
5. Vitalsox Italy - Patented Graduated Compression VT1211
These socks come in a wide range of vibrant colors so they look great for sport. They are also popular with people who work most of the day on their feet e.g nurses. They are made with polypropylene impregnated with Silver which makes them more odor resistant. By all accounts they are very comfortable but a few reviewers said they didn’t feel as firm as they’d like. The Vitalsox company has been making compression hosiery at their factory in Italy since 1998. They say their product’s compression starts in the mid foot which is an advantage over other products which start from the ankle.
6. Copper Compression Knee High Recovery Support Socks
These pressure socks are infused with copper which naturally inhibits bacterial and fungal growth. The manufacturer claims that their product has the highest copper level of any “copper” sock on the market. Curiously I couldn’t see the pressure value anywhere in the product information but reviews are generally very positive, and they have the advantage of having thinner material in the foot area for dress shoes.
7. Truform Women’s 15-20 mmHg Sheer Open Toe, Knee High Compression Stockings
If you’re looking for some sheer compression hose (15-20mmHg) that come in nude, white and black, these may be your answer. They have an open toe making them more attractive with open toe dress shoes (for the ladies) and cooler when flying. For a slightly thicker and durable option with a filled in toe there are the Truform 1963, Women’s Compression Socks, Cushion Sole, 15-20 mmHg, available in black, navy, tan and white.